Maintenance Tips and Techniques to Prevent Clogging Drains
1. Pouring hot water down the drains, especially after use, can help to prevent a clogged drain. Everyday activities like brushing, shaving, doing dishes, etc. can cause build up over time, but flushing these particles out with hot water can help prevent problems.
2. Using strainers over bathroom and kitchen drains will help stop hair, soap pieces, large food particles, and other material from entering the main drains. You should also clean the strainers weekly to avoid a buildup of grime and dirt.
3. Only flushable items like human waste and toilet paper should be flushed down toilet drains. Items like paper towels, sanitary products, and q-tips are common causes for clogged drains.
4. Bathroom and shower drains can be kept clean and clog free by cleansing the pipes with boiling hot water at least once a month. Dumping boiling hot water down a drain is very effective in breaking down materials causing a clogged drain.
5. Avoid pouring grease and fat down the kitchen drain. Instead, these products should be allowed to cool and disposed of in a trash receptacle. A clogged drain resulting from grease or fat build up can be one of the most difficult to clean.
6. Lint and dirt can be carried out from the washing machine into the drainpipes as the water drains. You can prevent a clogged drain by installing a lint trap or filter on the washing machine discharge hose to catch these materials before they enter the pipes.
Should Sewer Lines be Snaked Regularly Even if They are NOT Backing Up?
Preventive Maintenance is a recommended practice to maximize the life expectancy of your sanitary system. While snaking and video inspection are not required if you are not experiencing any problems, these services can help give you peace of mind and prevent failures before they occur. Snaking and video inspection services can be performed once a year in order to ensure that your sewer pipes are clear of roots and other debris. It is a good idea to have the sewer and drain lines inspected for deficiencies when moving into a new house.
Freshening the Garbage Disposal
You can grind ice cubes in the garbage disposal to clean the cutting blades. Simply place several cubes in the drain and grind. If you want to add a little bit of scent to the area, you can add rinds from any of the citrus fruits in the drain with the ice cubes. The citrus fruits include oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruits
Recovering lost items from in traps
Step 1. Place
a basin or bucket to catch water from the trap. If
chemicals are present use a chemical resistant bucket
and wear chemical resistant gloves. Also shield eyes.
Step 2. Loosen the two end nuts of the couplings. Some can be loosened by hand, but a pipe wrench may be needed. The trap will come free and you can get the lost item, or remove the plug.
Step 3. Check the washers for any damage when putting the trap back on. Replacing the damaged washers now may save you a leak later on.
Featured Plumbing Services
Our plumbers provide quick response for 24 hour emergency plumbing services. Our professional plumbers provide the fastest plumbing repair to get your life back on track as soon as possible.
Water Treatment Services
Water treatment services also include installation of dependable water softener systems to remove calcium, magnesium and iron from your water.
Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
If you are in need of toilet and shower installation, new faucets, or just want to add value to your home, we will provide you with the best remodeling services.
Customer satisfaction is our top priority.
We offer quality service in hours... Not days! If you should have an emergency, our fully equipped fleet of radio dispatched service vehicles are available around the clock. You can count on our team of licensed technicians to arrive on time and prepared.